Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Stencils

Today's meandering is about stencils and my notebooks. I wonder if I can be considered an artist when my drawings are rooted in stencils and found objects as stencils. If I don't draw from my imagination are my drawings less original? 
I don't see junk when I look at these objects I see patterns waiting to be drawn. They are all shapes looking for an opportunity to be traced and repeated. My eye likes the clean edges a traced shape makes with a black line. Sometimes a critical voice sneaks into the creative process and asks questions about the value of what I do. Is it real art? What is real art if it is not bought and sold? I try to ignore that voice and simply keep doing what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lines

 I have been working to capture a particular line pattern l have seen on some creative instagram posts. I have wanted to develop my own take...